Dr. Qi is a Technical VP at Huawei Research America, as well as the Chief Scientist of Smart Cities at Huawei Cloud EI Product Department. He was a faculty member and the director of the MAPLE lab in the Computer Science Department in the University of Central Florida. Prior to joining UCF, He was Research Staff Member at the IBM T.J. Watson Research Center (Yorktown Heights, NY). Before that, he had worked with Professor Thomas Huang in the Image Formation and Processing Group at the Beckman Institute in the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and received the Ph.D in Electrial and Computer Engineering.
Dr. Qi's main research interests include computer vision, pattern recognition, data mining, and multimedia computing. In particular, he is interested in information and knowledge discovery, analysis and aggregation, from multiple data sources of diverse modalities (e.g., images, audios, sensors and text). His research also aims at effectively leveraging and aggregating data shared in an open connected environment (e.g., social, sensor and mobile networks), as well as developing computational models and theory for general-purpose knowledge and information systems. His research results have been published in several venues, including CVPR, ICCV, ACM Multimedia, KDD, ICML, IEEE T. PAMI, IEEE T. KDE, Proceedings of IEEE.
Dr. Qi has served or will serve as Area Chair (Senior Program Committee Member) for ACM Multimedia, KDD, CIKM and ICME, as well as Program Committee Member for CVPR, ICCV, and ICIP. He also was a Program Committee Chair for MMM 2016. In addition, Dr. Qi have co-edited two special issues of "Deep Learning for Multimedia Computing" and "Big Media Data: Understanding, Search and Mining" for IEEE T. Multimedia and IEEE T. Big Data respecitvely. He regularly reviews for IEEE. T. PAMI, IEEE T. Image Processing, IEEE T. CSVT etc.
- Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition
- Computer Vision and Multimedia Computing
- Data Mining and Analytics - Knowledge Representation and Aggregation
Selected Professional Services
- Special Issue "Big Media Data: Understanding, Search, and Mining", in IEEE Transactions on Big Data (IEEE TBD).
- Special Issue “Deep Learning for Multimedia Computing”, in IEEE Transactions on Multimedia (IEEE T MM).
- Special Issue “social media mining and knowledge discovery”, in Multimedia Systems, Springer
Area Chairs (Senior Program Committee Members)
- International ACM Conference on Multimedia (ACM MM 2015, ACM MM 2016).
- ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 2015)
- International SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD 2016).
- International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV 2017).
Program Committee Member
- International IEEE Conference on Data Mining (ICDM 2015).
- International ACM Conference on Multimedia (ACM MM 2014).
- Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL 2015, ACL 2014, ACL 2013).
- International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications (ICMLA 2012).
- International Conference on Multimedia Modeling (MMM 2009, MMM 2011, MMM 2013).
- ACM International Conference on Image and Video Retrieval (CIVR 2010).
- The IADIS Visual Communication 2009 Conference.
Honors & Awards
- 2015 Best Paper Runner-up, International ACM Conference on Multimedia.
- 2014 Best Student Paper Award (co-recipent as the mentor of the student author), IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM).
- 2013 "Best of ICDE Paper" by IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering.
- 2011,2012 IBM Fellowship, IBM.
- Best Paper Award, The 15th ACM International Conference on Multimedia (ACM SIGMM).
- 2007 Best Research Intern, Microsoft Research Asia.
- 2007 Microsoft Fellowship, Microsoft.
- 2005 Guo Moruo Scholarship, USTC (Top Scholarship in USTC).